Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Tasting- Jamestown Cellars Settlers' Spiced Wine




Name: Jamestown Cellars Settlers' Spiced Wine
Variety: Blended, Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Virginia, USA
Year: Didn't say on the bottle but I'd imagine it's 2014
Price: $12
Winemaker Notes: "Using a red wine base and infusing a carefully balanced blend of spices, the wine comes through with dark fruit and berries.  On top of the fruit is a predominant cinnamon and clove character followed by a myriad of fruit and spice combinations, to include an anise note.  This is a delightfully fun wine that can accommodate many occasions. Serve warm in a mug and add a stick of cinnamon for garnish, or try it iced with a slice of citrus fruit or a mint sprig”.

Technical Notes: 
Blend: A grape wine base, with added cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove, and allspice 
Aging: French and American Oak, stainless steel 
Alcohol: 12%
pH: 3.70 
TA: 0.7g/100ml 
Residual Sugar: 6% 
Approximately 2,000 cases produced annually

Critic Review: Colonial tradition of cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices were added to this Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon blend. Designed as a mulled wine, it is meant to be served warm during winter by the fireplace or after a cold day outdoors.  When served chilled in the summer months, it makes an agreeable substitute to Sangria. In the cold Winters of northern Europe, wine would often be served warm during the holiday season. The English brought this custom to Virginia in the 16th century.

My Thoughts: I was given this wine to try at a friend's house. I was scared by the title of "Spiced Wine." My first thought was the temperature of the wine it was warm and seemed thicker than the white wines I am used to. Once I got passed the warm wine, the flavors exploded in my mouth. The best way I can describe the flavor is Christmas in a cup. It tasted of cinnamon, cloves, and other spices I couldn't identify. It was interesting to taste but I think I would only feel right drinking it in the winter, especially because of it being warm. I did not pair it with food but I imagine it would taste delicious with Christmas Dinner. 

"Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words" 

Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment