Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Tasting- Broadbent Vinho Verde

Name: Broadbent Vinho Verde
Variety: Arinto (Pederna) - Loureiro
Region: Minho, Portugal
Year: 2014
Price: $9
Winemaker Notes: Vinho Verde, the most popular white wine from Portugal, is a deliciously refreshing, light wine. "Verde", meaning "Green" refers to the hints of lime color. It is an ideal warm weather wine, excellent for lunch and picnics, or an evening apertif. It makes a brilliant pairing with any fish, shellfish and poultry.



Critic Notes: This white shows floral fruit, lime, and green freshness on the nose and palate. Overall, it's lightly fizzy and possessed of zippy acidity; you'll want to have a plate of shellfish on hand when you open this wine.

My Thoughts: I have never had a wine from Portugal so I was excited to try this wine. The taste is extremely light, fizzy, and fruity. I couldn't pick out a specific type of fruit in the taste but I relate sweet taste to being fruity. It was a good wine especially for the price but not anything special. After reading the critic and winery notes, I would like to try this wine with shellfish because I'm sure that would be delicious.
 I also had to look up what the variety meant because I had never seen that before.The description says, "Arinto – Loureiro is a blend of two of the most widely used white wine grape varieties in Portugal. Together, and often in league with Trajadura(Treixadura), they form the backbone of the crisp, tangy white wines of Vinho Verde." So it is a blended wine of two grapes I have never heard of! Good to know there is more than just Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. (still a wine noob) 

Broadbent Winery


"Wine is bottled poetry"

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment