Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Amanda's Experience of Wine Thus Far

My experience with wine started like most college girl's- with Yellow Tail Moscato. This was my wine of choice for my first two years of college. It is basically candy in a bottle and had no taste of alcohol. It is fruity, light, and extremely easy to drink in large quantities (hello double bottles). Also, I thought the bottle looked cool and it was a twist off so I didn't have to learn how to open bottles.


After drinking more Moscato than any one person should consume, I got sick of the sweet flavor and wanted something different. I had tried my parents red wines before and hated the bitter, peppery taste. So, I decided to stick with white wines and move on to Sauvignon Blanc. I didn't have a specific brand I liked, I would just order the cheapest glass of it at a restaurant. This was until my mom introduced me to Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, I was hooked! This had to be my favorite wine by far and is still my go to if I would like just one glass for the evening. Sauvignon Blanc is fruity and light but not nearly as sweet as Moscato. What I still enjoy about white wines today is I don't need to eat something to enrich the flavor, drinking the wine by itself is very enjoyable.  
Now I am a senior at Virginia Tech, about to graduate with a degree in Business Information Technology. I am 22 years old and I realize it is time to expand my palate. I have already began to dive into red wine, although it was harder to get used to. I have tried Chianti (at Sal's) and Cabernet Sauvignon (when with my parents). I find I can only drink these wines when paired with food because the burn in the back of my mouth isn't as pleasant without a nice piece of steak or a spaghetti bolognese. 

I hope to learn a lot from this Geography of Wine class. By the end of the semester I want to be able to pick out a good bottle for my different types of meals and to have tried every type of grape/style of wine. I feel this is a good skill to have especially in the business world because everything somehow revolves around happy hour/corporate dinners. So here's to a great semester of becoming a slight wine snob in order to expand my wine horizons.


"Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy"

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment