Sunday, April 26, 2015

Wine and Cheese Pairing 2



Pairing #1


 Name: Mirassou Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2012   
Cheese: Roquefort, Goat, and Gruyere

This Cabernet was a very delicious wine on it's own. It was full of big fruit and oaky flavors that played well on the palate. It was slightly tannic, but not overwhelming. There was also a hint of cocoa in the aroma. When paired with Roquefort the cheese brought out the spiciness of the wine, which I did not like. I found that it masks the wine's taste. The Goat cheese complimented the Cab very well. It really brought out the oaky flavor of the wine. Finally, the Griere was paired with the Cab. Honestly, it did nothing for the wine and the wine did nothing for the cheese. It was not a good pairing.


 Pairing #2

Name: Bodega Elena de Mendoza Malbec
Variety: 100% Malbec
Country: Argentina
Year: 2013  
Cheese: Gruyere and Rocquefort


The Malbec by itself had a strong alcohol flavor. There was also a hint of pine needle flavor when I tasted it, which reminded me of a car air freshener. There was definitely some tannic components in the wine. Finally, I believe I may have tasted some sort of cinnamon flavor within the wine. The Gruyere cheese was not a great pairing with this wine. I was told this would be a really good pairing, but I think the smokiness just overpowered the wine. The Rocquefort complimented the Malbec very well. It cut the sharpness of the wine and brings out the sweetness in the Malbec. This was definitely the better of the two pairings.


Pairing #3


Name: Manfred Breit Piesporter Goldtropchen Riesling Spatlese
Variety: 100% Spatlese
Region: Mosel
Country: Germany

Year: 2012  
Cheese: Smoked Gouda & Goat


 This wine has great components of apple and pear. It definitely had an aroma of flowers about it. This wine tasted almost like a sweet pine. I love riesling so I especially enjoyed this wine. The smoked gouda paired with the Riesling really brought out the smokiness of the cheese. It was an okay pairing, but I think it would pair better with other cheeses. The goat cheese was a good combination of sweet and salty. It was a very delicious combination especially with the hard goat cheese. I thought this pairing was very delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment