Sunday, February 15, 2015

Wine and Cheese Pairing 1

First wine and Cheese pairing! I was so excited to do this because I have a serious love for cheese. We decided to do 4 different wines (2 red, 2 white) and 4 different cheese pairings.

Wine #1 Insomnia Pinot Grigio 2013
Variety: Pinot Grigio
Region: California, USA
Year: 2013
Price: $11

Winemakers notes: This aromatic and complex Pinot Grigio presents aromas of white peaches and white flowers, sea spray, oyster shell and flavors ranging from casaba melon to citrus zest with a hint of Crème Fraîche in the finish. Enjoy this refreshing wine with oysters, Chicken Piccata, Sole Meunière, Fettuccine Alfredo, or grilled chicken.


Critic Review: An easygoing, casual wine with melon and marshmallow flavors and a soft texture. It’s cleanly made, light on the palate and almost sweet going down.


My review: Aroma was very mild and smelled fruity but it was light and not overpowering. The taste was extremely sour and acidic and had hints of apple to me. Definitely not my favorite and I did not like how strong the sourness was. 


Cheese Pairing:
Brie Cheese. I've had Brie before and it very creamy with a nice flavor finish, I am not particularly fond of the rind part of it because it seems too bitter. When tasting the wine with the cheese, I could not believe how it completely cut the sour flavor from the wine. Brie made the wine much more enjoyable and allowed the fruit flavors to come out easier without the acidity burn. 



Wine #2 La Playa Estate Sauvignon Blanc  (from previous blog)
Name: La Playa Estate Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Chile, South America
Year: 2014
Price: $8

Winemakers notes: La Playa Estate Sauvignon Blanc is crisp, with notes of pineapple and mango. The wine has a clean citrus finish with a hint of minerality. Made with 100% Sauvignon Blanc.

Critic Review: Golden yellow color. Aromas of peach, passion fruit, orange blossom, and lemongrass with a soft, dry light-to-medium body and a smooth, interesting, medium length, peach, mango, yellow watermelon, and lemon finish. Opulent tropical aroma and flavors round out to a silky finish. 

My review: The wine was very light with an after-taste of orange. I found it easy to drink and no acid or punch at the end. The color was also more yellow than most of the Sauvignon Blanc's I have tried prior to this. Nothing overly special about the wine but I would drink it again. I tried it with a mild Gouda cheese and it did not seem to really change the flavor of the wine, just enhanced the fruity flavors. 

Cheese Pairing: We tried this with Gouda cheese. The Gouda was extremely mild in flavor but did have a nice nuttiness to it. It did not really alter the wine flavors or enhance them at all. 



Wine #3 Terra Barossa Shiraz Cabernet Petit Verdot
Variety: Shiraz 69%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Petit Verdot 10%
Region: Barossa, Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $15

Winemaker Notes: The wine has a dark red hue with a spicy plum character which is complexed by an iodine like character. Plum and black currant fruit characters are balanced by spicy, chocolates and oak characters. The wine has soft tannins which provide structure to the wine. The wine finishes with a creamy character and lingers for a long time.


Critic Review: 'Thorn-Clarke not only took the top trophy in the Great Australian Red last year, it also secured the trophy for The Best Wine Under $20 with its great value Tera Barossa blend. It sings of the great 2010 vintage in succulent blackcurrants, mulberries, plums and black cherries, with subtle complexity of game, supported by firm, fine tannins that promise a decade in the cellar.

My Review: The smell is overwhelmingly cherry/ berry. The taste give off a spicy, berry vibe and burns my nose and throat when I drink it. Very interesting and my first Shiraz. My palate is not refined enough to drink this without a meal yet, but I hope to try others in the future.
Cheese Pairing: Sharp Cheddar Cheese. The cheese again cut the burn in the back of my throat and made the wine much more fruitier to me. It was very interesting and a delicious combination. Definitely changed my initial opinion of the Shiraz. 


Wine #4: Dark Horse Cabernet Sauvignon 
Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: California, USA
Year: 2013
Price: $9

Winemaker's Note: Bold flavors of blackberry and black cherry, supported by firm tannins, brown spice and a dark chocolate espresso finish.

Critic Review: In the glass: Darkhorse Cabernet Sauvignon is a densely deep purple-red color with an inky core and intense vermillion streaks going out into a dark fuchsia rim definition with high-painted viscosity.
On the nose: It has lots of crushed morello cherry, boysenberry sorbet and raspberry sauce with hints of graphite, oak and soft violets, touches of licorice root and smoke, and a perfumed red- flower-and-spice combination going on. On the palate: There is a virtual cherry bomb hitting the olfactory sensors laced with smoke, wood and licorice, then layers of cassis, boysenberry and concord grapes without the intense sweetness that such a combination would normally entail. The midpalate is supple with good juicy tannin structure and decent length, punctuated by slight phenolic compounds and just a touch of heat from the alcohol.
My Review: The first thing I noticed was how dark the color was in the glass. Much darker than the Shiraz or any other Cabernet Sauvignon I have had. The taste was very peppery which I felt overpowered the fruitier tastes of cherry.  

Cheese Pairing: Blue Cheese. Before we start, I absolutely hate Blue Cheese so my tasting was kind of skewed. With the wine, the cheese enhanced the flavor beautifully and gave the wine a smokier, cherry flavor as opposed the the peppery taste from earlier. I still am not a fan of the cheese but it was a nice compliment. 


Overall and insanely fun night with great friends. I was glad I got to pair my two favorite things: wine and cheese! I cannot wait to do this again!


Friends!

Wines!
Cheeses!

























































"Wine and cheese are ageless companions, like aspirin and aches, or June and moon, or good people and noble ventures." Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment